Match Report – Foxton vs Whittlesey Athletic Reserves – Challenge Cup - 20.01.24.

January 29, 2024

Foxton progressed to the semi-final of the Challenge Cup on Saturday, after a 5-0 home win against Whittlesey Athletic Reserves.

Foxton started bright and nearly took an early lead, when Antwan got on the end of Elliott’s free kick, but his header went just over the bar. The visitors then countered with a long searching ball down the left, which found one of their attacking players, who, from 30 yards, smashed a first-time snapshot, which Pinney saved well. Foxton stayed on top of the early stages but couldn’t find a clear opening, although Antwan found himself through one on one with keeper but unfortunately lost his footing. 

We finally took a deserved lead on 21 minutes, when George managed to split the away defence and set Kaane away, the keeper came rushing out to close him down, but Kaane’s early shot gave him no chance and nestled nicely in the left side of the goal. 

The lead was soon doubled, when Kaane grabbed his second, after some lovely play down the left side, Stu picked out Alfie, who played a sharp one two with Mez and cut the ball back for Kaane to stroke home from close range. 

The visitors kept plugging away but Foxton didn’t let them get on top, winning most duels in the centre of the park and the back four dealing with anything thrown at them.

Just before half time, Jake Emmett had a great chance to make it 3 but after a sublime first touch in the box from a high ball in, he just couldn’t get his shot away.

2-0 HT.

Foxton again started well in the second half and young Emmett had another chance to make it 3 after he out hustled a defender and gave himself a one in one chance but his shot was well saved by the away keeper. The third goal came on 54 minutes, when Stuart headed home from Kaane’s corner. Whittlesey couldn’t get a foothold in the game but nearly pulled one back 5 minutes later, but Pinney saved well, tipping a powerful shot from distance onto the cross bar. 

Foxton stayed in full control, still winning most battles all over the park and holding a good shape out of possession. 

The 5th and final goal came on 90 minutes when Antwan dispossessed a Whittlesey defender and drove forwards, now one on one, his shot across the keeper was parried into the path of Jordan who made no mistake from close range.

5-0 FT

TEAM:  Pinney, Beard, Gillies, Hoskins, Knight, Meredith, McMurrough, O’Dell, Emmett, Ebanks-Blake, Fehmi. 

menu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram